It’s been four years in the making from the project’s original Master Plan to final construction… and completely worth the wait. The renovated Town of Palm Beach Marina, designed to “reflect the elegance and sophistication of the Town of Palm Beach,” was officially unveiled at its reopening last November in all of its $40 million-worth of glory. The brand-new marina now offers yacht owners world-class accommodations for a bigger mixture of vessel types, especially the new larger yachts.
Designed with Luxury Yachts in Mind
Local and visiting yachtsmen will appreciate the newly-designed marina, which was officially dedicated with a ribbon cutting on December 9th. The famous public Town Docks that have been welcoming sea vessels since the 1940s have been completely overhauled, amenity buildings have been renovated, its landscape and hardscape have been beautified, and more parking space has been added. The new Town of Palm Beach Marina can now accommodate the increased demand for more and larger yacht slips by offering 77 regular slips, plus seven marginal side ties, and also wider and deeper berthing for mega yachts up to almost 300 feet.
New Royal Palm Dock
The trio of original Town Docks, the Brazilian, Australian, and Peruvian, named after their adjacent east/west roads, is now joined by a newly constructed 250-foot marginal side tide dock, the Royal Palm.
According to the Town of Palm Beach Marina Master Plan study, in the past, vessels moored at the Town Docks tended to range in size from 50 feet to 200 feet long. However, the new trend in yacht-building is an increase in length, beam, and draft. The study also found that because winds are mostly east-southeast, it would be beneficial to have superyachts aligned in a north-south direction to minimize exposure. The study also addressed boaters’ concerns regarding the rocking of docked vessels caused by the wakes of boats traveling north from the Southern Boulevard Bridge racing to make the Royal Park Bridge before it closes.
The Master Plan’s solution was the new Royal Palm Dock’s marginal side tie (MST), a section of dock that is longer than an individual slip and can tie multiple vessels that are longer in length, which gives the marina added flexibility in the layout for the fluctuating tides, wakes and wind.
Bellingham Concrete Floating Docks
The new Town of Palm Beach Marina uses the innovation of state-of-the-art world class concrete floating docks to address multiple issues. According to the Master Plan study, 81% of yachtsmen prefer floating docks over fixed docks because they make it easier to board and moor, reduce the risk of damaging the vessel, and provide better wave attenuation. Engineered by Bellingham Marine to be the industry’s best in strength, longevity, stability and high-load capacity, the marina’s new floating dock system will more effectively handle the growing boat size demographic for decades to come. Bellingham includes a fifty-year service plan. The extremely durable construction features:
- Strength of 4,000 psi and greater
- Solid concrete on all six sides
- Ecological benefits for water quality, habitat creation, and low carbon footprint
The new marina also boasts a renovated electrical system including high-speed Wi-Fi, upgraded security gate access, and increased security cameras on the docks, entryways, and parking lots, which are accessible with a password-protected smartphone app. Additionally, increased shore power programming alleviates the unnecessary use of fuel while a vessel is docked, advanced fire suppression systems provide an added measure of safety, and boat slip reservations can now be made online.
New Facilities & Additional VIP Services
Under the direction of veteran Dockmaster Mike Horn, disembarking visitors can expect a warm and convenient welcome to the newly refurbished office and three amenity buildings, which offer a lounge area and shower facilities. Golf carts and a well-staffed port concierge service will be available to help move luggage along the passerelles and docks. New amenities also include high-tech lighting, boat-side trash pickup offered several times a day, and additional dock attendants.
The Passerella Walkway
Marina clientele will also find new permeable walkways along low native landscaping, and a convenient coral and bronze dog fountain for those travelling with their pets. A stroll along the picturesque Passerella Walkway leads to these neighboring recreational amenities.
- Palm Beach Par-3 Golf Course: World-renowned, this oceanfront 18-hole course is flanked by the ocean and Intracoastal that boasts breathtaking, panoramic views from every fairway. The original design was drawn up by golf course architect Dick Wilson in 1961, completely renovated in 2009, and now features a new two-story, Key West-style clubhouse with a pro shop and alfresco bar and restaurant.
- Morton and Barbara Mandel Recreation Center: The 17,000-square-foot newly updated health and wellness facilities within Seaview Park offers a boutique fitness center in the heart of Palm Beach. The center also offers youth and adult classes, and special events centered on art, language, technology, sports, camps and holiday workshops.
- 13 Premier Tennis Courts: The 13 tennis courts at Seaview Park Tennis Center (seven lit courts) and Phipps Ocean Park Tennis Center (six courts) are an ace for lovers of the sport year-round. The two locations offer renowned programs, training, lessons, drop-in play, clinics, tournaments, league play, and more.
- Worth Avenue: The famed landmark Worth Avenue shopping and alfresco dining district is only steps away from the marina. The retail mecca is known to attract celebs worldwide. And, for other options, the nightlife of West Palm Beach is also a short walk way over a nearby inlet bridge.
The Town of Palm Beach Marina is located at 500 Australian Drive in Palm Beach. They are currently taking 2022 seasonal (now through April 30) and annual (December 1 through November 30) transient slip reservations.
At Rabideau Klein, the Real Estate Attorneys have the local expertise and experience you need to ensure that your interests are protected during your real estate transaction in the Town of Palm Beach and throughout The Palm Beaches. Contact Rabideau Klein today to discuss your real estate legal needs.